I solved it eventually, but forgot about this post.
If I remember correctly I had to make a bootable pendrive with the 18.04
installer, because it wanted to modify something, and couldn't do it with live
cd.
And how I found this out is a mystery for me right now.

  Can't install Ubuntu from live cd when nomodeset is added

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  I'm having issue with nouveau. (Overheat. See Bug #1768976). To
  disable nouveau when using live cd I found, that I need to run the
  live Ubuntu with nomodeset. The live Ubuntu starts fine, no overheat,
  able to use every program on livecd, except the installation itself.
  No matter how many times I click on it, nothing happens. Same as with
  starting the just install option, installation app not starts. I tried
  with 18.04.1 and 18.10 live cds. Can I make this work with nomodeset?
  Maybe by adding an other option? Do you know other way to run livecd
  with disabled nouveau?