So I'm a bit confused because I've been told that A: additional patches
are necessary to solve the issue, and B: that the issue is solved
without those additional patches.

When you did the test, were you using the older, failing firmware
levels, or have you updated to the patched firmware that is also part of
this fix?

  amd_iommu possible data corruption

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Cosmic:
  In Progress
Status in linux source package in Disco:
  In Progress

  If a device has an exclusion range specified in the IVRS table, this region
needs to be reserved in the iova-domain of that device. This hasn't happened
until now and can cause data corruption on data transfered with these devices.

  Treat exclusion ranges as reserved regions in the iommu-core to fix the
problem.

  This is a clean cherry pick from mainline of
  8aafaaf2212192012f5bae305bb31cdf7681d777

  [Test Case]

  [Fixes]
  Cherry pick the following from Mainline
  fd3b3448cf5adc2a2f09b70eaad03c27fe79e7a6 iommu/amd: Reserve exclusion range
in iova-domain

  [Regression Risk]
  Only affects the amd_iommu driver:
      drivers/iommu/amd_iommu*