Public bug reported:

Booting an Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS amd64 installer USB on a Clevo P650RE3
results in a hang shortly after the desktop is presented, unless
acpi=off and noapic (or nolapic) are given as kernel boot parameters.
The same installer runs without issue on other machines and the 16.04
installer runs without issue on the P650RE3.

Without passing acpi=off and noapic, a desktop comes up and a terminal
can be obtained, but keystrokes and mouse clicks are not responded to
after a small number of seconds. The mouse pointer continues to move
with trackpad input.

With careful timing I was able to obtain, uname, dmidecode and (an
empty) lspci output. I was not able to obtain any /proc/acpi
information, but do have dmesg. These are all attached. With acpi=off
and noapic, I can get lspci and dmidecode output, but obviously no
/proc/acpi. In this case the lspci output is not impty and dmidecode is
identical to the failing case.

** Tags: cosmic

  Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS amd64 installer hangs shortly after boot unless
  acpi=off and noapic