This has been applied to Disco (and I believe to Eoan, too) but the bug
reference was pointing to a different bug (just libbfd and libbfp
looking too similar to notice): bug #1826410. This will require some
care to untangle without requiring to do the kernel again.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Disco)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu Eoan)

   linux-tools: perf incorrectly linking libbfd -- again

Status in linux source package in Disco:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Eoan:

  = SRU Justification =

  Impact: Linking perf (part of the linux-tools package) against libbfd
  prevents users to have linux-tools of different kernel versions
  installed in parallel. Which makes debugging hard.

  Fix: As stated above this had been fixed before but upstream changes
  of the kernel between 4.19 and 5.0 voided those fixes. Unfortunately
  without causing build failures but causing libbfd to be used again.

  Testcase: Extracting ./usr/lib/linux-tools-*/perf from the generated
  linux-tools package and inspecting it with ldd. Old builds will have a
  reference to libbfd, the test builds will not.

  Risk of regression: low as this is a build-time change.
  =====

  It seems the previous attempt to disable use of libbfd has been
  rendered ineffective by an upstream change:

    commit 14541b1e7e723859ff2c75c6fc10cdbbec6b8c34