This bit me tonight on a few days old 18.04 VM with stock kernel. So far
I can not get back in with reboot or redeploy to upgrade the kernel.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-azure in Ubuntu.

  Azure Instance never recovered during series of instance reboots.

Status in linux-azure package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

  be some cases where the instance will not respond following a system
  reboot.  SRU Testing only restarts a giving instance once, after it
  preps all of the necessary files to-be-tested.

  Series: Disco
  Instance Size: Basic_A3
  Region: (Default) US-WEST-2
  Kernel Version: 4.18.0-1013-azure #13-Ubuntu SMP Thu Feb 28 22:54:16 UTC 2019
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  I initiated a series of tests which rebooted Azure Cloud instances 50
  times. During the 49th Reboot, an Instance failed to return from a
  reboot.. Upon grabbing the console output the following was seen
  scrolling endlessly. I have seen this failure in cases where the
  instance only restarted a handful of times >5

  [    84.247704]hyperv_fb: unable to send packet via vmbus
  [    84.247704]hyperv_fb: unable to send packet via vmbus
  [    84.247704]hyperv_fb: unable to send packet via vmbus
  [    84.247704]hyperv_fb: unable to send packet via vmbus
  [    84.247704]hyperv_fb: unable to send packet via vmbus
  [    84.247704]hyperv_fb: unable to send packet via vmbus
  [    84.247704]hyperv_fb: unable to send packet via vmbus
  [    84.247704]hyperv_fb: unable to send packet via vmbus

  In another test attempt I saw the following failure:

  ERROR ExtHandler /proc/net/route contains no routes
  ERROR ExtHandler /proc/net/route contains no routes
  ERROR ExtHandler /proc/net/route contains no routes
  ERROR ExtHandler /proc/net/route contains no routes
  ERROR ExtHandler /proc/net/route contains no routes
  ERROR ExtHandler /proc/net/route contains no routes
  ERROR ExtHandler /proc/net/route contains no routes

  Both of these failures broke networking, Both of these failures were seen at
least twice to three times, thus may explain why in some cases we never recover
from an instance reboot.