** No longer affects: linux (Ubuntu Disco)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Please package libbpf (which is done out of the kernel src) in Debian
  [for 19.10]

Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  Hi,
  Debian packages libbpf and so far does so out of the kernel source [1].
  There is some movement to separate that from the kernel source [2] but this
isn't ready yet. So far it is just a sync of the subtree out of the kernel
sources.

  Since we do not share our kernel packaging we will not get this for-free
without doing anything.
  If there will be an ITP about it in Debian I'll let you know and we can abort
this, but unless that really happens I wanted to ask if you could as well build
the libbpf* packages for 19.10 and onward?

  Note: this is not the same bpf lib as [3] despite the similarity in
  names.

  Reasoning:
  BPF becomes more and more important in general and is used in the kernel for
many things. In the case that brought it to my attention it will be a PMD of
DPDK that will need it to control XDP [4]. And XDP in general is an interesting
and rising feature for network acceleration - I'd think it would be helpful to
have this package around in Ubuntu.

  [1]: https://packages.debian.org/sid/libbpf-dev
  [2]: https://github.com/libbpf/libbpf
  [3]: https://github.com/iovisor/bcc