Just tested it. Totally disables the touchpad.

  ELAN1200 touchpad jumps around and disconnects

  This is on an ASUS GL503VD laptop and would probably affect other ASUS
  laptops equipped with the ELAN1200 touchpad.

  I am on Kernel 4.17.2 because older kernels did not enable the
  touchpad at all(It was just unrecognized or i2c-hid stopped the
  computer from booting)

  The touchpad works but it has erratic behaviour and disconnects
  randomly. After it disconnects the only way to bring it back is to
  `modprobe -r hid-multitouch && modprobe hid-multitouch`

  Libinput and synaptics can handle the touchpad though I found
  synaptics to be more stable.

  dmesg gets spammed with this whenever I move the touchpad:
  [timestamp] i2c_hid i2c-ELAN1200:00: i2c_hid_get_input: incomplete report
(16/65535)

  I tried to compile: https://github.com/mishurov/linux_elan1200_touchpad
  Because from what I understand the "jumpy/disconnect" problem is associated
to the incomplete reports and Mishurov managed to mitigate those. Unfortunately
some symbols were deprecated in kernel 4.17.2 and it did not compile for my
system.

  While I can use my touchpad as is right now, and "restart" it with
  modprobe when needed, it would be nice to have it function bug-free.
  (Right after I typed this my touchpad disconnected and I needed to
  modprobe again, I am considering making a cronjob for that)

  Let me know if anything else is needed. Will wait for an apport collection to
add log files.
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.2
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64 (20180426)
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
  Package: linux (not installed)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=screen
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  Tags:  bionic
  Uname: Linux 4.17.2 x86_64
  UnreportableReason: The running kernel is not an Ubuntu kernel
  UserGroups:

  _MarkForUpload: True