We got a potential fix thanks to TJ that seems to be working wonderfully from
what I can ascertain:
https://phab.lubuntu.me/D15

Download the raw diff, cd /etc/calamares, sudo patch --strip 2 <
/path/to/diff, and install like normal. Done!

  Lubuntu Eoan Daily Image fails to boot after install on KVM

Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:

  Context: The live environment appears to function properly and install
  proceeds as expected with no noticeable errors.

  Expected results: After a system reboot the virtual machine enters the
  graphical environment

  Actual Results: After rebooting the virtual machine a kernel panic
  error screen appears. I will attempt to attach the screenshot after
  submitting this bug report.

  The collected data is from the live environment as the installed
  environment will not boot.

  lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ lsb_release -a
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID: Ubuntu
  Release:        19.10
  Codename:       eoan

  lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ apt-cache policy grub2
  grub2:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 2.02+dfsg1-12ubuntu2
    Version table:
       2.02+dfsg1-12ubuntu2 500
          500 cdrom://Lubuntu 19.10 _Eoan Ermine_ - Alpha amd64 (20190519)
eoan/universe amd64 Packages
          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu eoan/universe amd64 Packages

  Package: grub2 (not installed)
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu27