Oops. It appears upstream already fixed this bug. And we removed their
fix in Ubuntu (revert_nvidia_wayland_blacklist.patch in gdm3). If you
revert that revert then the bug is fixed.

** Changed in: gdm3 (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Daniel van Vugt (vanvugt)

** Changed in: gdm3 (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gdm3 (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: mutter (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu boots to blank screen when using Nvidia (on a desktop with an
  unused Intel GPU)

Status in GNOME Shell:
  New
Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-375 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 package in Ubuntu:

  Ubuntu boots to blank screen when using Nvidia drivers (on a desktop
  with an unused Intel GPU).

  WORKAROUNDS (you only need one):

  * Uncomment #WaylandEnable=false in /etc/gdm3/custom.conf

  * Disable integrated graphics/GPU in your BIOS

  * Add 'nomodeset' to your kernel cmdline in /etc/default/grub and then
    run:  sudo update-initramfs
    and reboot.

  ORIGINAL DESCRIPTION:

  This bug is very similar to
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-gnome/+bug/1559576
  which is closed. I have been asked to open a new bug report.

  The issue is on Ubuntu 17.10 with gdm3 fully updated as of July 20,
  2017. I upgraded to 17.10 from a freshly installed Ubuntu 17.04.

  - Lightdm works
  - Nouveau driver works
  - Nvidia driver 375.66 (proprietary) does not work
  - Nvidia driver 384.47 (open source) does not work (from
https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa)
  - Nvidia drivers work with Ubuntu Gnome 17.04

  I am using Nvidia GTX 1080 and Intel i7-4790K

  lsb_release -rd:
  Release:      17.10

  apt-cache policy gnome-shell:
  gnome-shell:
    Installed: 3.24.2-0ubuntu7
    Candidate: 3.24.2-0ubuntu7
    Version table:
   *** 3.24.2-0ubuntu7 500
          500 http://sa.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu artful/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  uname -s -r -v -p -i -o:
  Linux 4.11.0-11-generic #16-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 12 20:40:19 UTC 2017 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux