Forest, this bug was reported a while ago and there hasn't been any
activity in it recently. We were wondering if this is still an issue? If
so, could you please test for this with the latest development release
of Ubuntu? ISO images are available from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com
/daily-live/current/ .

If it remains an issue, could you please run the following command in
the development release from a Terminal
(Applications->Accessories->Terminal), as it will automatically gather
and attach updated debug information to this report:

apport-collect -p linux <replace-with-bug-number>

Also, could you please test the latest upstream kernel available (not the daily
folder) following https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelMainlineBuilds ? It will allow
additional upstream developers to examine the issue. Once you've tested the
upstream kernel, please comment on which kernel version specifically you
tested. If this bug is fixed in the mainline kernel, please add the following
tags:
kernel-fixed-upstream
kernel-fixed-upstream-VERSION-NUMBER

where VERSION-NUMBER is the version number of the kernel you tested. For
example:
kernel-fixed-upstream-v3.13-rc3

This can be done by clicking on the yellow circle with a black pencil icon next
to the word Tags located at the bottom of the bug description. As well, please
remove the tag:
needs-upstream-testing

If the mainline kernel does not fix this bug, please add the following tags:
kernel-bug-exists-upstream
kernel-bug-exists-upstream-VERSION-NUMBER

As well, please remove the tag:
needs-upstream-testing

Once testing of the upstream kernel is complete, please mark this bug's
Status as Confirmed. Please let us know your results. Thank you for your
understanding.

** Tags added: latest-bios-0604

** No longer affects: udev (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  gave up waiting for root device (temporary, intermittent)

Status in “linux” package in Ubuntu:

  My Lucid installation sometimes fails to boot, dropping me instead
  into a BusyBox shell.  The error message looks like this:

  Gave up wiating for root device.  Common problems:
   - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
     - check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
     - check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
   - missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
  ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/01234567-89ab-cdef-0123-456789abcdef does not exist.
Dropping to a shell!
  BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash)
  Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
  (initramfs) _

  My root= line contains the correct uuid.  (I masked it in the error
  message above.)

  Adding a rootdelay= of a couple minutes seems to make it fail less
  often.  This is not a viable solution, because a couple minutes is way
  to long to have to wait, because it doesn't always help, and because
  booting used to work just fine with no wait.

  If I wait a few minutes and type 'exit' at the (initramfs) prompt, the
  system boots.  Sometimes I have to try this a few times before it
  works.

  This bug is distinct from bug 360378, because in my case, the system
  is able to boot if I wait long enough.  (Note the comments in bug
  360378 stating that rootdelay doesn't help there.)

  The problem is clearly not because my disk is taking too long to
  become ready.  My root, /boot, and boot sector are all on the same
  disk.  If the disk wasn't ready, the system would not have been able
  to load GRUB or reach the BusyBox shell.

  This seems to be a regression.  My system booted consistently in early
  Intrepid kernels and in releases earlier than Intrepid.  The problem
  first showed up late in the Intrepid release cycle, presumably after a
  kernel upgrade.

  I was using GRUB 1 when the problem first appeared.  It still exists after
upgrading to GRUB 2.
  ---
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
  Architecture: i386
  CRDA: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'Audigy2'/'SB Audigy 2 ZS [SB0353] (rev.4, serial:0x10031102) at
0xec00, irq 17'
     Mixer name : 'SigmaTel STAC9721,23'
     Components : 'AC97a:83847609'
     Controls      : 210
     Simple ctrls  : 46
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
  Frequency: Once every few days.
  HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=cf1efe17-335f-4939-aff9-d91f8a4c8ed0
  IwConfig:
   lo        no wireless extensions.

   eth0      no wireless extensions.

   vboxnet0  no wireless extensions.
  MachineType: System manufacturer P5K/EPU
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Package: linux (not installed)
  ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-23-generic
root=UUID=64d0462d-8c6e-4a80-9b4b-60a144cda037 ro quiet splash
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-23.37-generic 2.6.32.15+drm33.5
  Regression: Yes
  RelatedPackageVersions: linux-firmware 1.34.1
  Reproducible: No
  RfKill:

  Tags: lucid filesystem regression-update needs-upstream-testing
  Uname: Linux 2.6.32-23-generic i686
  UserGroups: adm admin audio cdrom dialout dip floppy fuse kvm lpadmin plugdev
sambashare uml-net video wireshark www-data
  WifiSyslog:

  dmi.bios.date: 06/19/2008
  dmi.bios.vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 0604
  dmi.board.asset.tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
  dmi.board.name: P5K/EPU
  dmi.board.vendor: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
  dmi.board.version: Rev 1.xx
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: Asset-1234567890
  dmi.chassis.type: 3
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Chassis Manufacture
  dmi.chassis.version: Chassis Version
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr0604:bd06/19/2008:svnSystemmanufacturer:pnP5K/EPU:pvrSystemVersion:rvnASUSTeKComputerINC.:rnP5K/EPU:rvrRev1.xx:cvnChassisManufacture:ct3:cvrChassisVersion:
  dmi.product.name: P5K/EPU
  dmi.product.version: System Version
  dmi.sys.vendor: System manufacturer