I got another computer, same type, slightly different equipment.
The problem no linger occurs. So I think it was strongly hardware related.

** Changed in: nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 in Ubuntu.

  resume from hibernate is slow and not reliable (nvidia)

Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-384 package in Ubuntu:

  My system:
  ubuntu 17.04
  gnome desktop
  4GB RAM
  2x3GHz core duo
  Nvidia GT 630
  TWO MONITORS, attached to the video card with DVI / HDMI (I think this is
important...)

  When resuming from suspend to RAM, my system very often will first
  show the unlocked screen I saw before suspend, and then switch both
  screens dark again. Again pressing a keyboard key whill then switch on
  monitors again and I get the password prompt. The whole process goes
  for more than 20s, which is annoying.

  Often (several times a week) it completely fails and the system will
  freeze in various status.

  I'v been experiencing this bug since something like 3 years now with
  various (clean) installation, graphics drivers and kernel versions.