Well, I see the problem also on real hardware, but it's harder to
reproduce.  In any case, I don't want to install a non-standard kernel
there, so it is mixed up with the other problems with the 5.0 kernel.

However, the VM *does* indeed have bluetooth.  Virtualbox allows VMs to
access any USB device on the host (when enabled).  My BT controller is a
usb device.  For testing I disable BT on the host and later enable the
VM to access the BT usb device; it works fine, ie. connects and
disconnects as expected (and, yes, even plays music!).  All from the VM.

However the GUI problem is most apparent in the VM, running 5.2 kernel.

I don't think using a VM is relevant, except that hardware timing will
be different due to i/o instructions being trapped and re-executed on
the host.  If timing causes a problem, then it probably points to a race
condition or similar bug.

Anyway, as I mentioned the same symptom appears less frequently on bare
hardware with the 5.0 kernel.  I will attached output from journalctl -f
for just one "snapback", and for a complete sequence eventually
succeeding.   Again, tjese were made with the older kernel.

** Attachment added: "newlog_kernel5.0.0-21-generic_onlyfirstsnapback.txt"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bluez/+bug/1838227/+attachment/5279954/+files/newlog_kernel5.0.0-21-generic_onlyfirstsnapback.txt

Packages, which is subscribed to bluez in Ubuntu.

  Bluetooth "Connection switch" snaps back by itself until after many
  tries

Status in bluez package in Ubuntu:

  Attempting to slide the "Connection" switch in the gui to connect a
  bluetooth device fails initially -- the switch moves but "snaps back"
  by itself immediately.   Clicking on the switch flashes the "busy"
  indicator momentarily, but the switch does not move.   After a while,
  connecting succeeds.

  I don't know if the mouse input is not recognized until the "Nth"
  attempt, or else the connection was in-progress all along but the gui
  was not tracking that correctly.

  Please watch the attached video (use vlc).

  NOTE: This system is running a non-standard kernel 5.2 in order to
  circumvent other problems (see bug 1838180).

  Again, see the video; there is something wrong with how the GUI
  communicates with the kernel.

  Package: bluez 5.50-0ubuntu2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu27.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Jul 28 22:46:28 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic Cuttlefish" - Release amd64
(20181017.3)
  InterestingModules: bluetooth
  Lsusb:
   Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
   Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
  MachineType: innotek GmbH VirtualBox
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.2.0-050200-generic
root=UUID=75234048-11af-4901-9f89-2c32581f5dd3 ro quiet splash
  SourcePackage: bluez
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to disco on 2019-06-27 (31 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 12/01/2006
  dmi.bios.vendor: innotek GmbH
  dmi.bios.version: VirtualBox
  dmi.board.name: VirtualBox
  dmi.board.vendor: Oracle Corporation
  dmi.board.version: 1.2
  dmi.chassis.type: 1
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Oracle Corporation
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvninnotekGmbH:bvrVirtualBox:bd12/01/2006:svninnotekGmbH:pnVirtualBox:pvr1.2:rvnOracleCorporation:rnVirtualBox:rvr1.2:cvnOracleCorporation:ct1:cvr:
  dmi.product.family: Virtual Machine
  dmi.product.name: VirtualBox
  dmi.product.version: 1.2
  dmi.sys.vendor: innotek GmbH
  hciconfig:

  rfkill:

  syslog:
   Jul 28 22:42:11 V-M-Ubuntu-Experimental NetworkManager[828]: <info>
[1564378931.7693] Loaded device plugin: NMBluezManager
(/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/NetworkManager/1.16.0/libnm-device-plugin-bluetooth.so)
   Jul 28 22:42:22 V-M-Ubuntu-Experimental systemd[1]: Condition check resulted
in Bluetooth service being skipped.