** Tags added: xenial

  Setting vm.overcommit_kbytes = 0 made the entire system explode.

  On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and the newest kernel 4.4.0-157, I tried the following
command:
  echo "vm.overcommit_memory = 2" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
  echo "vm.overcommit_kbytes = 0" >> /etc/sysctl.conf
  sysctl -p

  Then I can't reboot, all the commands are invalid, the system
  explodes. After a forced restart, I can't even connect it with ssh.

  #reboot
  reboot -bash: fork: Cannot allocate memory

  After some searching and inspection, I find the default value of
  vm.overcommit_kbytes is 0, so why set it to 0 again will get such a
  result?