Hi Guilherme,

Apologies if I missed it, but could you elaborate on the issues you're
experiencing with the Disco kernel that are preventing you from
verifying this fix? I saw in an earlier comment you were waiting for
5.0.0-24 but that kernel should be available in -updates now.

Thanks,

Connor

  cifs set_oplock buffer overflow in strcat

Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Cosmic:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux source package in Disco:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Eoan:

  * We got reports of a kernel crash in cifs module with the following
  signature:

  detected buffer overflow in strcat
  kernel BUG at <...>/lib/string.c:1052!
  invalid opcode: 0000 [#1] SMP PTI
  RIP: 0010:fortify_panic+0x13/0x1f
  Call Trace:
   smb21_set_oplock_level+0xde/0x190 [cifs]
   smb3_set_oplock_level+0x22/0x90 [cifs]
   smb2_set_fid+0x76/0xb0 [cifs]
   cifs_new_fileinfo+0x268/0x3c0 [cifs]
   ? smb2_get_lease_key+0x40/0x40 [cifs]
   ? cifs_new_fileinfo+0x268/0x3c0 [cifs]
   cifs_open+0x57c/0x8d0 [cifs]
   do_dentry_open+0x1fe/0x320
  [...]

  * By analyzing the code of smb21_set_oplock_level(), we've noticed the
  only way fortify function strcat() would get overflow was if the value
  of cinode->oplock got corrupted in a another thread leading to a
  buffer write bigger then buffer size. In this function, the 'message'
  buffer writes are governed by cinode->oplock, so only a different
  thread cleaning the oplock value would lead to 'message' overflow.

  * By the same time we worked this analysis, a fix was proposed
  upstream for this issue  in the form of commit 6a54b2e002c9 ("cifs:
  fix strcat buffer overflow and reduce raciness in
  smb21_set_oplock_level()"), by the same reporter of this LP. The fix
  is simple and directly addresses this problem, so we hereby request
  its SRU into Bionic kernel - it's already present in linux stable
  branches.

  [Test case]

  * Unfortunately we cannot reproduce the issue. The patch proposed here was
  validated by us with xfstests (instructions followed from
  https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Xfstesting-cifs) and fio.

  * Using xfstest with the exclusions proposed in the link above we
  managed to get the same results as a non-patched kernel, i.e., the
  same tests failed in both kernels, we didn't get worse results with
  the patch. Fio also didn't show noticeable performance regression with
  the patch.

  [Regression potential]

  * The patch was validated by the cifs filesystem maintainers and by
  the aforementioned tests; also, the scope is restricted to cifs only
  so the likelihood of regressions is considered low. The commit
  introduces no functional changes and the only affected path was just
  refactored in a way to prevent overflow and reduce race potential.