This bug is awaiting verification that the kernel in -proposed solves
the problem. Please test the kernel and update this bug with the
results. If the problem is solved, change the tag 'verification-needed-
xenial' to 'verification-done-xenial'. If the problem still exists,
change the tag 'verification-needed-xenial' to 'verification-failed-
xenial'.

If verification is not done by 5 working days from today, this fix will
be dropped from the source code, and this bug will be closed.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how
to enable and use -proposed. Thank you!

** Tags added: verification-needed-xenial

  EeePC 1005px laptop backlight is off after system boot up

Status in linux source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Disco:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Eoan:

  == SRU Justification ==
  Commit 78f3ac76d9e5 ("platform/x86: asus-wmi: Tell the EC the OS will
  handle the display off hotkey") causes the backlight to be permanently off
  on various EeePC laptop models using the eeepc-wmi driver (Asus EeePC
  1015BX, Asus EeePC 1025C).

  == Fix ==
  * 1dd93f87 (platform/x86: asus-wmi: Only Tell EC the OS will handle
  display hotkeys from asus_nb_wmi)

  This patch addes a .wmi_backlight_set_devstate quirk for specific
  models to make asus_wmi_set_devstate(ASUS_WMI_DEVID_BACKLIGHT, 2, NULL)
  conditional.

  Only X/D contain the commit that introduce this issue (78f3ac76), this
  patch can be cherry-picked into D.

  For X, it needs some content adjustment to add quirks only to those
  models that exist in Xenial tree.

  == Test ==
  Test kernels could be found here:
  https://people.canonical.com/~phlin/kernel/lp-1837117-eeepc/

  Bug reporter has verified that this fix works as expected on X.

  == Regression Potential ==
  Low, quirks limited to specific ASUS laptops and by far there is no
  further change to this in upstream kernel.

  == Original Bug Report ==
  After kernel update the backlight on my Asus eeepc 1005px becomes off during
boot up. I can see the login screen if I point light to the screen. The
backlight is not reacting on brightness adjustment keys. The backlight starts
working only if I close and open the laptop lid.

  I have tried to:
  * echo 10 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
  * echo 125 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
  * vbetool dpms on
  * pass "acpi_backlight=vendor" kernel parameter
  * install gdm instead of lightdm
  * create /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/80-backlight.conf with content
recommended in Kernel/Debugging/Backlight Wiki article
  with no luck.

  The backlight works fine if I pass "acpi_osi=" kernel parameter, the
  brightness is adjusted by keys, but the applet does not react to
  adjustments.

  Package: linux-image-4.4.0-145-generic 4.4.0-145.171
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.18
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Thu Jul 18 22:30:44 2019
  InstallationMedia: Xubuntu 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160719)
  SourcePackage: linux-signed