> Is there a BIOS update for your Dell?

At the time I was running the latest BIOS, but a few days later an
update appeared on Dell Support software (on Windows).

I updated the BIOS and then I let Ubuntu update the microcode normally.
It seems to work fine now with the latest microcode and no dis_ucode_ldr
option at boot time.

  intel-microcode on ASUS makes kernel stuck during loading initramfs on
  bionic-updates, bionic-security

Status in intel-microcode package in Ubuntu:
Status in linux-hwe package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-hwe-edge package in Ubuntu:

  - my system gets stuck at "Booting, Loading initramfs" (the first 2 lines of
booting, after grub)
  - does not even show the enter cryptsetup passphrase
  - affected kernels:
  # apt list --installed |grep linux-signed
  WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in
scripts.
  linux-signed-generic/bionic-security,bionic-updates,now 4.15.0.50.52 amd64
[installed]
  linux-signed-generic-hwe-18.04/bionic-security,bionic-updates,now
4.18.0.20.70 amd64 [installed]
  linux-signed-generic-hwe-18.04-edge/bionic-security,bionic-updates,now
5.0.0.15.71 amd64 [installed]

  - the setup is not new, has been working perfectly before (about 7
  days since my last restart?)

  System:
  - HW: ASUS Zenbook 14 UX433FN
  - Ubuntu 18.04, runing latest HWE, fully updated
  - grub(-pc), cryptsetup (crypttab entries for custom encrypted LUKS setup),

  Suspected/possible cause?:
  - recent intel-microcode package update
  - recent kernel package updates

  Steps taken:
  - tried to remove "splash quiet" from grub/kernel cmd line (also tried adding
nosplash, noplymouth)
  - completely removed nvidia drivers (apt purge *nvidia*)
  - completely purged and reinstalled grub (grup-pc)
  - completely purged and reinstalled all kernels (headers, modules, image, ..)
  - toggle BIOS "fastboot" (now using OFF)
  - toggle UEFI SecureBoot (now using ON)
  - remove plymouth (apt remove *plymouth* , but the workaround is working with
plymouth installed)

  Workaround:
  - so far, I'm only able to boot with non-Ubuntu kernel!
(linux-image-liquorix-amd64)
  - which needs "splash" option ON
  - reinstall cryptsetup & update-grub (as suggested in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1829620/comments/10 )

  I am not sure how to get you more debug info, as this setup has been
  working before, and it's a very eary boot-process bug, so I can't even
  access dmesg etc.

  EDIT:

  Hypothesis:
  Only affects ASUS with i7-8565U Whiskey Lake Intel CPU

  Upstream Bug Report:
  https://github.com/intel/Intel-Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-Files/issues/1

  WORKAROUND 1: disable intel microcode updates during boot
  From this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/intel-microcode/+bug/1759920
  1/ add the boot parameter: dis_ucode_ldr to /etc/default/grub
  2/ update-grub

  WORKAROUND 2: downgrade (and hold) intel-microcode to older version from
bionic/main
  apt install --reinstall intel-microcode=3.20180312.0~ubuntu18.04.1

  WORKAROUND 3: upgrade BIOS
  Asus has released updated BIOSes, which probably include the newest
microcode. After upgrading workarounds 1,2 are not needed.
  Please NOTE, unlike workarounds 1,2, BIOS upgrade is permanent and cannot be
(easily) reverted.

  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.6
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: KDE
  DistroRelease: KDE neon 18.04
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release amd64
(20121017.1)
  Package: linux-hwe-edge (not installed)
  Tags:  bionic wayland-session
  Uname: Linux 5.0.0-17.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64
  UnreportableReason: The running kernel is not an Ubuntu kernel
  UserGroups: adm libvirtd lpadmin netdev plugdev sudo vboxusers video
  _MarkForUpload: True
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.6
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: KDE
  DistroRelease: KDE neon 18.04
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release amd64
(20121017.1)
  Package: linux-hwe-edge
  PackageArchitecture: amd64
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.0.0-15.16~18.04.1-generic 5.0.6
  Tags: third-party-packages bionic wayland-session
  Uname: Linux 5.0.0-15-generic x86_64
  UnreportableReason: Toto není oficiální KDE balík. Prosíme odstraňte všechny
balíky třetích stran a zkuste to znovu.
  UserGroups: adm libvirtd lpadmin netdev plugdev sudo video
  _MarkForUpload: True