I can confirm that vlc starts on a system where the root filesystem uses
obverlayfs + Kernel 5.0.0-31-generic (testet with Ubuntu 18.04, apt-get
install linux-generic-hwe-18.04).

@Rik
I accidentally clicked on the fix committed link, I did not know that anyone
can change the status without further confirmation.

  /proc/self/maps paths missing on live session (was vlc won't start;
  eoan 19.10 & bionic 18.04 ubuntu/lubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu/ubuntu-mate
  dailies)

Status in linux source package in Disco:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Eoan:

  SRU Justification

  Impact: A patch to enable mounting overlayfs over shiftfs introduced a
  regression in /proc/pid/maps when a proc mount over an overlayfs mount
  is accessed from within a chroot. All paths within the file are /
  instead of paths to the files backing memory-mapped regions. This is
  causing issues in several different configurations.

  Fix: Revert the offending patch.

  Test Case: A simple reproducer can be found attached in lp1842382.sh.

  Regression Potential: This reverts to the previous behavior. Mounting
  overlayfs over shiftfs will not work until a fixed patch is applied.

  ---

  Using Lubuntu 19.10 daily 'live' :   (later confirmed with
Ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu too if `vlc` is added if not already present)
  From menu option, from pcmanfm-qt (trying to open an appropriate file), or
from terminal I've been unable to start vlc.

  lubuntu@lubuntu:~$ vlc
  VLC media player 3.0.8 Vetinari (revision 3.0.8-0-gf350b6b5a7)
  lubuntu@lubuntu:~$

  No crash reports are visible (/var/crash/ is empty) and I see no
  reason, but I cannot get vlc to play files, or open.  I'll continue to
  explore as I'm able.

  QA-test on lenovo thinkpad x201 (i5-m520, 4gb, i915)

  Package: vlc 3.0.8-2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperVersion: 1.415