------- Comment From h.carst...@de.ibm.com 2019-08-30 07:12 EDT-------

------- Comment From h.carst...@de.ibm.com 2019-08-30 07:52 EDT-------

------- Comment From h.carst...@de.ibm.com 2019-08-30 16:25 EDT-------

  s390x load + decompress time of kernel image with lz4 is 2x slower
  than lzo

Status in Ubuntu on IBM z Systems:

  Canonical Kernel Performance Team has been doing benchmarks on loading
  & decompressing time of the kernel images to select the fastest
  compression.

  On x86_64 lz4 came out as the best one.

  On our s390x load + decompress time of kernel image with lz4 appeared
  to be 2x slower than lzo. Tested on z13 mainframde, whilst kernel is
  compiled targetingging -march=zEC12. Which is a bit surprising. Are
  there any performance improvements that can be done to kernel lz4?

  You can see assessment details over at the public bug
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1840934

  I wonder if IBM teams can try different kernel compression algorithms
  to doublecheck that indeed load+decompress time of lzo kernel image is
  the fastest, and faster than lz4 or gzip.

  Also, would that change with z14 and the hw accelerated decompression
  there? Is that implemented for the kernel decompressors?

  We will be switching kernel image compression to lzo with the v5.3
  kernel on s390x.