I used the following commands on both systems;
sudo zpool export hp-data
sudo zfs list  # the other command produces a lot of snap mounts
sudo umount -l /vms/vms #the only other mounted dataset
sudo rmdir /hp-data
sudo rmdir /vms/vms
  Update and upgrade the system
sudo zpool import hp-data
sudo zfs mount -a

Afterwards the updated system worked again, but it only proves, that you have
to umount(/rmdir?) all non-root datasets in the ZFS update procedure before
starting the update itself.
The same happened to my ext4 install and removing ZFS and reinstalling it
solved the problem, so this is a bug that should be corrected.

I do not think that rmdir has anything to do with the issue, I think
unmouting all non-root datasets solved the problem. In the ext4
installation I did not use rmdir. I just reinstalled ZFS and of course
the datasets were not yet mounted during the installation. I could
rollback one of the ZFS installations to the beta date and try out the
procedure without rmdir, but only if you think it is useful and a real
bug.

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  19.10 ZFS Update failed on 2019-10-02

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  On all my systems the update from zfs-initrams_0.8.1-1ubuntu12_amd64.deb
failed the same is true for zfs-zed and zfsutils-linux.
  The system still runs on 0.8.1-1ubuntu11_amd64.
  The first error message was about a failing mount and at the end it announced
that all 3 modules were not updated.
  I have the error on Xubuntu 19.10, Ubuntu Mate 19.10 on my laptop i5-2520M
and in a VBox VM on a Ryzen 3 2200G with Ubuntu 19.10.