Public bug reported:

Fresh installation of stock Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan with experimental root on ZFS.
System has existing zpools with data.

Installation is uneventful. First boot with no problems. Updates
applied. No other changes from fresh installation. Reboot.

External pool 'tank' imports with no errors. Reboot.

External pool has failed to import on boot. In contrast bpool and rpool
are ok. Manually re-import 'tank' with no issues. I can see both 'tank'
and its path in /dev/disk/by-id/ in /etc/zfs/zpool.cache. Reboot.

'tank' has failed to import on boot. It is also missing from
/etc/zfs/zpool.cache. Is it possible that the cache is being re-
generated on reboot, and the newly imported pools are getting erased
from it? I can re-import the pools again manually with no issues, but
they don't persist between re-boots.

Installing normally on ext4 this is not an issue and data pools import
automatically on boot with no further effort.

** Affects: zfs-linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags: eoan zfsutils-linux

** Project changed: canonical-identity-provider => zfs-linux (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  zpools fail to import after reboot on fresh install of eoan

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu: