Managed to figure out why this was happening - I had the NUM_VFS in the
card firmware configured to 127 (the maximum value) - reducing this to a
lower number allowed me to successfully switch the cards into switchdev
mode at which point the ip tools all worked again.

The clue that pointed to this appeared when using the proposed 5.3 hwe
edge kernel:

  [  694.027106] infiniband (null): mlx5_ib_alloc_counters:5452:(pid
47479): couldn't allocate queue counter for port 128, err -12

(128 being the pertinent value)

** Also affects: linux (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to iproute2 in Ubuntu.

  ip commands error with mellanox devices in switchdev mode

Status in iproute2 package in Ubuntu:

  Kernel: using 5.0.0-23-generic from hwe-edge

  Configuring a mellanox connectx device with configured VF's into
  switchdev (rather than legacy) mode result in the ip cli tool erroring
  when trying to query the interface state:

  $ sudo ip link
  Error: Buffer too small for object.
  Dump terminated

  Package: iproute2 4.15.0-2ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 5.0.0-23.24~18.04.1-generic 5.0.15
  Uname: Linux 5.0.0-23-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.7
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Oct 25 14:55:36 2019