Ok, this is a complex matter. I just experienced this unpleasant feature
on my laptop using the above described driver and hardware for the last
two days. =>It seems to be a radio transmission issue.<= (and this is
damned complex!)

The Linux driver as well as the microcode of the WiFi device must be
able to cope with the small frequency jumps of the access point. Yes,
frequencies are =>NOT<= very stable. This is shown in the logs by the
following messages: wpa_supplicant[971]: wlp1s0: CTRL-EVENT-SIGNAL-
CHANGE. When this event occurs, your hardware must resync with the
access point. The driver as well as the microcode of your WiFi device
may or may not support such a frequency jump. In other term they may or
may not be able to cope with the noise. The following log message shows
that my system was not able to cope with it: iwlwifi 0000:01:00.0:
Microcode SW error detected.

What actually solved the issue is re-configuring the access point. I
limited the channel width on the 2.4 Ghz frequency to 20 Mhz to avoid
interference with other access points in the area. In addition I defined
a precise channel for the access. For the channel selection, prefer
channel 1, 6 or 11, since they do not overlap. Now my connection is
stable and my logs are clean.

For the 5 Ghz network, these problem might not occur as frequently as on
the 2.4 Ghz one, since it is less used. In case similar issues are
faced, proceed similarly.

Hope it helps, Illi

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-firmware in Ubuntu.

  iwlwifi Microcode SW error detected.  Restarting 0x2000000.

Status in linux-firmware package in Ubuntu:

  This seems to be a return of an existing bug, in newer hardware and
  microcode versions.

  Wireless card: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 [8086:24fd] (rev 78)
  Firmware version: 34.0.1

  Frequent errors as soon as I connect to wifi:
  Microcode SW error detected.  Restarting 0x2000000.

  Expected to happen: Great and stable wifi like a couple of weeks ago
  What happens: very slow, intermittent internet access, lots of ping loss

  Found a suggestion of a workaround: adding these lines to
  /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

  [device]
  wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

  These lines were already there, not added by me.

  Package: linux-firmware 1.173.2 [modified: lib/firmware/iwlwifi-8265-36.ucode]
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.5
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Fri Nov 23 15:23:54 2018
  Dependencies:

  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 18.04.1 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64
(20180725)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: linux-firmware