If I use the open source drivers with my Asus k42j laptop the GPU runs
very hot and the fans race all the time.  Installing the proprietary
drivers helps a little but neither works as well as windows on this
machine.

I would prefer to use the open source drivers as if possible. ATI radeon
HD 5470 Ubuntu 11.10. Upgrading to oenric didn't help at all in fact it
may have made things worse as I have experienced a few crashes already.

** Affects: linux (Ubuntu)

--
GPU runs hot, fans always racing with the ATI driver
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/874984