This bug has not been updated with further information requested in
question 4 for over a year. Marking as Won't Fix.

** Changed in: zfs-linux (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  zpool freezes importing older ZFS pool, blocks shotdown and system
  does not boot

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  After fresh install of xubuntu 18.04 LTS 64-bit,
  and the installation of zfs-dkms I tried to do 'zpool import' on an older ZFS
pool, consisting of on partition on the separate PATA HDD.

  After issuing 'sudo zpool import <poolname>' , command freezes (as to zfs
commands).
  System then fails to shutdown properly and seems locked and needs hard reboot
(actually it waits up to half an hour to shutdown).
  After restarting, system displays Xubuntu splash screen and does not boot
anymore (it actually resets itself if given again half an hour or so).

  When getting to rescue options, by pressing SHIFT key on keyboard and
  going to shell and remounting / read-write, I could do removing of ZFS
  Ubuntu packages and after that system could boot.

  Usefull message I got when trying to continue booting in shell was:
  "[ 40.811792] VERIFY3(0 == remove_reference(hdr,  ((void *)0), tag)) failed
(0 = 0)
  [ 40.811856] PANIC at arc.c:3084:arc_buf_destroy()"

  So it points to some ZFS bug with ARC.

  Previously, I was able to (unlike with 17.10) upgrade from 17.10 to 18.04 and
to import and use a newer ZFS pool.
  But this bug is about fresh 18.04 install and an older ZFS pool. (zpool
import says pool can be upgraded)