** Changed in: linux-raspi2 (Ubuntu Bionic)

** Changed in: linux-raspi2 (Ubuntu Disco)

** Changed in: linux-raspi2 (Ubuntu Eoan)

** Changed in: linux-raspi2 (Ubuntu Bionic)

** Changed in: linux-raspi2 (Ubuntu Disco)

** Changed in: linux-raspi2 (Ubuntu Eoan)

** Changed in: linux-raspi2 (Ubuntu Disco)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Juerg Haefliger (juergh)

** Changed in: linux-raspi2 (Ubuntu Eoan)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Juerg Haefliger (juergh)

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-raspi2 in Ubuntu.

  Conflicting mmc modules built in

Status in linux-raspi2 package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in linux-raspi2 source package in Bionic:
  In Progress
Status in linux-raspi2 source package in Disco:
  In Progress
Status in linux-raspi2 source package in Eoan:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  SRU Justification

  [Impact]

  The Bionic Linux-raspi2 kernel has both the upstream and downstream pi
  mmc modules enabled.  Running the latest server image users can see
  this error in dmesg:

  Error: Driver 'sdhost-bcm2835' is already registered, aborting...

  Due to this error the pi server image is failing a testcase on the iso
  tracker.

  It is also not clear to users what mmc modules are in use.

  The attached patch removes the upstream mmc modules from the kernel
  config.

  [Test Case]

  The bug can be reproduced by running the latest bionic 'classic'
  raspberrypi server image - http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server
  /daily-preinstalled/current/bionic-preinstalled-server-
  armhf+raspi2.img.xz

  Inspect the dmesg and observe the error.

  To check this is fixed, once the patched kernel has been installed,
  reboot, inspect the dmesg again and the error should be gone.

  [Regression potential]

  This should be low.  This config is the default used by raspbian and
  recommended by the pi foundation, and is therefore well tested.

  The patch changes the mmc modules, so if things go wrong the pi may
  not boot or the wifi on the pi3 may not work.

  I've built the kernel with the patch and everything still works.

  [Other Info]

  I think it is important to get this change in before the server images
  are released.

  Note the pi3 wifi doesn't work out-of-the-box, there is a missing
  brcmfmac43430-sdio.txt file.

  ---

  Original description:

  Linux-raspi2 has both the upstream and downstream pi mmc modules
  enabled.  In dmesg I get this error:

  Error: Driver 'sdhost-bcm2835' is already registered, aborting...

  I asked on the Raspberry Pi forums [1] about this and PhilE (Raspberry
  Pi engineer) answered:

  "For general guidance, in the Raspberry Pi kernels we use the
  bcm2835-sdhost driver for the SD card or EMMC interface and
  bcm2835-mmc for SDIO to the WiFi chip. Upstream uses bcm2835 for SD
  and sdhci-iproc for SDIO."

  I'm not entirely sure what the config used in raspbian is, but I think
  it is this:

  #
  # MMC/SD/SDIO Host Controller Drivers
  #
  CONFIG_MMC_BCM2835_MMC=y
  CONFIG_MMC_BCM2835_DMA=y
  CONFIG_MMC_BCM2835_PIO_DMA_BARRIER=2
  CONFIG_MMC_BCM2835_SDHOST=y
  # CONFIG_MMC_DEBUG is not set
  # CONFIG_MMC_ARMMMCI is not set
  CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI=y
  CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_PLTFM=y
  # CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_OF_ARASAN is not set
  # CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_OF_AT91 is not set
  # CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_CADENCE is not set
  # CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_F_SDH30 is not set
  # CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_IPROC is not set
  CONFIG_MMC_SPI=m
  # CONFIG_MMC_DW is not set
  # CONFIG_MMC_VUB300 is not set
  # CONFIG_MMC_USHC is not set
  # CONFIG_MMC_USDHI6ROL0 is not set
  # CONFIG_MMC_BCM2835 is not set
  # CONFIG_MMC_MTK is not set
  # CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_XENON is not set
  # CONFIG_MEMSTICK is not set
  CONFIG_NEW_LEDS=y
  CONFIG_LEDS_CLASS=y
  # CONFIG_LEDS_CLASS_FLASH is not set
  # CONFIG_LEDS_BRIGHTNESS_HW_CHANGED is not set

  I'll run apport to collect the Ubuntu configs and dmesg logs etc.

  [1] https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=210225