Just out of curiosity, you mention in comment #1 "p.s. I put the Iscsi
target back in fstab, rebooted and selected the old kernel - it booted
and mounted without any issue at all."

Does this mean that at this point you can reboot and the system boots
fine with the iscsi target in fstab?  Or do you mean that it ONLY boots
successfully using the old kernel, but if you boot the new one again,
you're back to hanging?

Which kernel successfully boots? (boot the system and do a `uname -a`)

  Boot hang after updating and setting up Iscsi with  4.15.0-72 generic
  kernel

  Hi All,

  Host Server - Dell PowerEdge R630, Dual Xeon E5-2650 v4, 768GB Memory,
  ESX 6.5.0

  I created a VM with 1vCPU, 2GB Memory, 16GB Hard drive.

  I installed Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 (latest ISO I had on hand),
  installed fine.

  I then ran apt-get update, apt-get upgrade... upgrade failed as repos
  were out of date. I then ran do-distribution-upgrade, ran through
  everything and it appears to work.

  --I don't want to mislead anyone - I can't remember if I rebooted or
  not at this point.

  After this, I setup an Iscsi initiator to an external target, added to
  fstab, formatted and confirmed all working.

  I then rebooted, and... nothing!

  No ping, no ssh or anything... Control + Alt + Del did not work,
  looked like it had frozen. The last line was starting SSH, but the
  previous line was the Iscsi initiator. At this point, I figured
  network is down and ISCSI is hanging as it can't connect/maybe I
  messed up the ISCSI mount.

  I then went to GRUB and did advanced, I did the recovery console for
  kernel 4.15.0-72 generic which lead to a kernel panic:
  https://snipboard.io/YCOZwv.jpg

  I then went through the options again and selected 4.4.0-62 generic,
  and it booted fine, and after about 2 seconds at the recovery menu,
  further ISCSI related text came up: https://snipboard.io/ALZcsF.jpg

  I went to the shell as root, deleted the line from fstab, and
  rebooted, but, it hang again at the same point.

  I then went to advanced, booted normally to 4.4.0-62 generic, and, it
  went through without any issue what so ever.

  Messing around with kernels puts me out of my depth... happy to give
  further info or do more diagnostics if required, however, due to it
  working in a different kernel and nothing out of the ordinary - I
  believe this to be a bug.

  This is on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS / Release 18.04
  ---
  ProblemType: Bug
  AlsaDevices:
   total 0
   crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  1 Dec  3 01:35 seq
   crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 Dec  3 01:35 timer
  AplayDevices: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'aplay': 'aplay'
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.9
  Architecture: amd64
  ArecordDevices: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'arecord':
'arecord'
  AudioDevicesInUse: Error: command ['fuser', '-v', '/dev/snd/seq',
'/dev/snd/timer'] failed with exit code 1:
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
  HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=c2e23b2c-adf6-42b4-bdd7-9d825a36d18c
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 16.04.2 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20170215.8)
  IwConfig: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'iwconfig': 'iwconfig'
  Lsusb:
   Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub
   Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0003 VMware, Inc. Virtual Mouse
   Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
  MachineType: VMware, Inc. VMware Virtual Platform
  Package: linux (not installed)
  PciMultimedia:

  ProcFB: 0 svgadrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-62-generic
root=UUID=dd730eac-9993-408e-aa5c-c79c6cfcb52e ro
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.4.0-62-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.4.0-62-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                            1.173.12
  RfKill: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'rfkill': 'rfkill'
  Tags:  bionic
  Uname: Linux 4.4.0-62-generic x86_64
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2019-12-02 (0 days ago)
  UserGroups: adm cdrom dip lpadmin lxd plugdev sambashare sudo
  _MarkForUpload: True
  dmi.bios.date: 04/05/2016
  dmi.bios.vendor: Phoenix Technologies LTD
  dmi.bios.version: 6.00
  dmi.board.name: 440BX Desktop Reference Platform
  dmi.board.vendor: Intel Corporation
  dmi.board.version: None
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: No Asset Tag
  dmi.chassis.type: 1
  dmi.chassis.vendor: No Enclosure
  dmi.chassis.version: N/A
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnPhoenixTechnologiesLTD:bvr6.00:bd04/05/2016:svnVMware,Inc.:pnVMwareVirtualPlatform:pvrNone:rvnIntelCorporation:rn440BXDesktopReferencePlatform:rvrNone:cvnNoEnclosure:ct1:cvrN/A:
  dmi.product.name: VMware Virtual Platform
  dmi.product.version: None
  dmi.sys.vendor: VMware, Inc.