logs not applicable

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- CVE-2019-0154 caused major power problem, pls backport maintainers fix
+ CVE-2019-0154 caused major power problem, pls backport maintainer's fix

** Summary changed:

- CVE-2019-0154 caused major power problem, pls backport maintainer's fix
+ CVE-2019-0154 caused major power problem, pls backport upstream's fix

  CVE-2019-0154 caused major power problem, pls backport upstream's fix

  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/issues/614
  the fix released as CVE-2019-0154 increases idle power consumption on intel
i915 6th gen and later.
  That's because the GPU does not enter RC6 any more.

  For example, my Thinkpad P50 (6th gen) idles at 9w with current 5.3 kernels.
Previously, it idled at 5W.
  Effects on a T480 (8th gen) are less dramatic but still significant.

  5.5RC1 has the maintainer's second pass at this, which restores RC6
  idling

  The maintainer's patch for 5.3 is here:
   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/issues/614#note_366057

  I have applied this to tag Ubuntu-hwe-5.3.0-25.27~18.04.2 and it
  builds. I am testing it now.

  I think it would be very helpful to backport this if you can.