Any help to filter out the kernel drivers in a manual update via the
terminal would be appreciated, having Removed Software Updater.

  Kernel driver updates caused BlueTooth to not start

  If this report is a duplicate it is because my first attempt resulted
  in a time-out error.

  Ubuntu 18.04, with latest updates.

  On 20th December I did my weekly disk image as part of my back-up (BU)
routine. At that time BlueTooth (BT) was working correctly.
  I completed the BU, rebooted and once I was signed in again the Software
Updater showed updates to be installed, which included KERNEL DRIVERS. On
completion of the update BT no longer functioned, with an error message like
Daemon Bluez not started. (i can't be sure exactly of the text).
  I hunted for fixes on-line by removing and re-installing the BT packages,
even using a different version of the Bluez package, subscripted :i386. I did
realise from the queries on-line that this area of Linux has proved difficult
for many over the years, but for me this is the first difficulty I have had.
  In summary, Restoring the most recent BU image gave me back BT, but the
Software Updater tried repeatedly to install the new kernel drivers, even when
the box was unticked. So I have uninstalled Software Updater and will rely upon
a manual update periodically until the kernel drivers problem is resolved. It's
just that I haven't worked out how to filter out the kernel updates anyway!

  That's all I can give you for now, regards, Steve.

  Package: linux-image-4.15.0-45-generic 4.15.0-45.48
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.9
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  steve      4022 F.... pulseaudio
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sat Dec 21 04:12:55 2019
  HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=5eee2769-becc-4d7b-804a-d4c188a257f6
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  MachineType: TOSHIBA SATELLITE P770
  ProcFB: 0 inteldrmfb
  ProcKernelCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-45-generic
root=UUID=ac16a96e-c63e-4723-bade-267625ad9d80 ro quiet splash reboot=bios
vt.handoff=1
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   linux-restricted-modules-4.15.0-45-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-4.15.0-45-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                             1.173.13
  SourcePackage: linux
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2019-01-25 (329 days ago)
  dmi.bios.date: 12/14/2011
  dmi.bios.vendor: TOSHIBA
  dmi.bios.version: 1.80
  dmi.board.asset.tag: NULL
  dmi.board.name: PHRAA
  dmi.board.vendor: TOSHIBA
  dmi.board.version: 1.00
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: *
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: TOSHIBA
  dmi.chassis.version: N/A
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnTOSHIBA:bvr1.80:bd12/14/2011:svnTOSHIBA:pnSATELLITEP770:pvrPSBY3E-02800HEN:rvnTOSHIBA:rnPHRAA:rvr1.00:cvnTOSHIBA:ct10:cvrN/A:
  dmi.product.family: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
  dmi.product.name: SATELLITE P770
  dmi.product.version: PSBY3E-02800HEN
  dmi.sys.vendor: TOSHIBA