** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  Linux 4.15.0-23 crashes during the boot process with a "Unable to
  handle kernel NULL pointer dereference" message

Status in linux source package in Bionic:

  == SRU Justification ==
  Mainline commit 1f50ddb4f418 introduced a regression.  That commit added
  speculative_store_bypass_ht_init() to the per-CPU initialization sequence.
  However, speculative_store_bypass_ht_init() needs to be called on each CPU for
  PV guests, as well.

  The regresssion prevents systems from booting.

  The patch to fix this regression has also been cc'd to upstream stable,
  but it has not landed in Bionic as of yet.

  == Fix ==
  74899d92e666 ("x86/xen: Add call of speculative_store_bypass_ht_init() to PV
paths")

  == Regression Potential ==
  Low.  This patch fixes a current regressionThis patch has also been
  submitted to upstream stable, so it has had additional upstream review.

  == Test Case ==
  A test kernel was built with this patch and tested by the original bug
reporter.
  The bug reporter states the test kernel resolved the bug.

  I went to boot my computer today and it wouldn't boot.

  I get an "Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference" message
  during the boot process, and, a bit after that, a message from the
  kernel watchdog about CPU #0 being stuck. Then the boot process stops
  completely.

  I was able to boot the system by telling Grub to load 4.15.0-22, which
  works perfectly fine, so there has been a regression.

  I am running Ubuntu as a Xen dom0, if that matters. I haven't tried
  booting the offending kernel version without Xen.

  I'm not sure where, if anywhere, these messages go on disk, for
  posting.

  Package: linux-image-4.15.0-23-generic 4.15.0-23.25
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Jun 17 10:12:58 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" - Release amd64 (20170412)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: linux-signed
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-05-29 (19 days ago)