Talking about this more, the Ubuntu solution for this sort of thing is
to configure sudo appropriately, so we'll close the bug here.

** Changed in: iproute2 (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to iproute2 in Ubuntu.

  capabilities set with setcap are not honoured

Status in iproute2 package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in iproute2 source package in Eoan:

  Hi,

  In Ubuntu 19.10 I set capabilities as;

  setcap cap_net_admin,cap_sys_admin+ep /bin/ip
  getcap /bin/ip
  /bin/ip = cap_net_admin,cap_sys_admin+ep

  but;

  > ip addr add 20.20.20.20/32 dev lo
  RTNETLINK answers: Operation not permitted

  *exactly* the same works perfect on 18.04.3 LTS.

  BTW the set of a silly address on "lo" is just an example.
  Nothing works on Ubuntu 19.10

  Regards,

  Package: libcap2-bin 1:2.25-2
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu8.2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Wed Dec 11 15:27:00 2019
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan Ermine" - Release amd64 (20191017)
  SourcePackage: libcap2