The only other Pi that I currently have is a 3B which does not have
802.11ac capabilities.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/faqs/#hardware

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-firmware in Ubuntu.

  Unreliable 802.11ac connection on our raspi images

Status in linux-firmware package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux-firmware-raspi2 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux-raspi2-5.3 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux-firmware source package in Bionic:
  New
Status in linux-firmware-raspi2 source package in Bionic:
  New
Status in linux-raspi2-5.3 source package in Bionic:
  New
Status in linux-firmware source package in Eoan:
  New
Status in linux-firmware-raspi2 source package in Eoan:
  New
Status in linux-raspi2-5.3 source package in Eoan:
  New
Status in linux-firmware source package in Focal:
  New
Status in linux-firmware-raspi2 source package in Focal:
  New
Status in linux-raspi2-5.3 source package in Focal:

  We were not able to completely pin-point the issue yet, so this is
  more of a blanket bug for the current issues we are seeing. We don't
  know where exactly the issue can be located.

  While preparing and testing 18.04.4, certification reported issues
  with our uc18 images on the pi4 with wifi ac tests. One of our
  engineers (Brian) confirmed it locally with a wifi access point
  restricted only to 802.11ac. After some additional testing, he noticed
  that he had the same unreliable symptoms for both the classic and core
  images, as well as the 19.10.1 classic images. The symptoms seem to
  vary, from inability to detect 802.11ac APs, inability to connect
  and/or receive an IP address and no traffic getting through.

  We will provide all the information that we have. Raspbian works
  better in this regard. We have pulled in the wifi firmware bits from
  Raspbian and using those, and that seems to resolve all flakiness.