Yes you did miss something. Of course the value is changed in
/etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf. I changed it myself! However zfs is ignoring
that value and is using considerably more memory for L1ARC.

If I wanted to limit the size of L1ARC, I had to change the value in
/sys/module/zfs/parameters/zfs_arc_max.

Packages, which is subscribed to zfs-linux in Ubuntu.

  zfs_arc_max not working anymore in zfs 0.8.1

Status in zfs-linux package in Ubuntu:

  In the past I could limit the size of L1ARC by specifying "options zfs
  zfs_arc_max=3221225472" in /etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf. I tried even to
  fill /sys/module/zfs/parameters/zfs_arc_max directly, but none of
  those methods limits the size of L1ARC. It worked nicely in zfs 0.7.x.

  Nowadays I use a nvme drive with 3400 MB/s read throughput and I see
  not much difference between e.g booting the system from nvme and
  rebooting the system from L1ARC. Having a 96-99% hit rate for the
  L1ARC, I like to free up some memory, thus avoiding some delay of
  freeing memory from L1ARC while loading a VM.

  UPDATE:

  The system only limits the L1ARC, if we directly after the login write
  the zfs_arc_max value to the file
  /sys/module/zfs/parameters/zfs_arc_max.

  Package: zfsutils-linux 0.8.1-1ubuntu14.1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu8.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME