This bug is awaiting verification that the kernel in -proposed solves
the problem. Please test the kernel and update this bug with the
results. If the problem is solved, change the tag 'verification-needed-
focal' to 'verification-done-focal'. If the problem still exists, change
the tag 'verification-needed-focal' to 'verification-failed-focal'.

If verification is not done by 5 working days from today, this fix will
be dropped from the source code, and this bug will be closed.

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation how
to enable and use -proposed. Thank you!

** Tags added: verification-needed-focal

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-5.4 in Ubuntu.

  [FOCAL][REGRESSION] Intel Gen 9 brightness cannot be controlled

Status in linux-5.4 package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in linux-oem-osp1 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in linux-oem-osp1 source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux-5.4 source package in Focal:
  In Progress

  After Ubuntu-5.4.0-9.12 which introduce DPCD backlight patches, the
  backlight control on some platforms fail to work.
  It seems using OUI string to map the panels which support DPCD
  backlight doesn't work well, it mis-mapped those panel that doesn't
  support DPCD backlight, and breaks the backlight control.

  [Fix]
  The author of the origin DPCD backlight patches recently provides a
  DP quirks based on EDID identification.

  [Fix]
  Verified on the machine with DPCD backlight and also on the machine
  which has regression with the OUI quirks, both of them work now.

  [Regression Potential]
  Low, it introduce a new quirks to list the panels which support DPCD
  backlight.

  ===============================

  After upgrading from Eoan (5.3.0-29.31) to Focal (5.4.0-12.15), I no
  longer have the ability to control the backlight brightness on my HP
  EliteBook 840 G5. When pressing the brightness hotkeys, the on-screen
  indicator pops up and shows that the brightness setting is being
  changed but the actual screen brightness is stuck on the lowest
  setting.

  This laptop has a built-in privacy screen. If I activate the privacy
  screen (fn-f2), then the actual screen brightness goes to the maximum
  setting and then I am able to dim and brighten the backlight as long
  as the privacy screen functionality is turned on.

  This is a regression from Eoan's 5.3.0-29.31 kernel where I was able
  to control the brightness with and without the privacy screen
  functionality being turned on.

  Package: linux-image-5.4.0-12-generic 5.4.0-12.15
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl icp zcommon znvpair
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu16
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Fri Jan 31 11:42:16 2020
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: linux-signed-5.4
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to focal on 2020-01-28 (3 days ago)