It looks like that fix is already released as an official update in
1.1.3-5ubuntu0.4 on 24 March 2020. If that didn't fix the problem here
then I might have linked to the wrong thing. Please update your system
and tell us if the problem still occurs.

** Changed in: alsa-lib (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-lib in Ubuntu.

  pulseaudio doesn't detect (new) USB headset

Status in alsa-lib package in Ubuntu:

  When booting the system (Lenovo Thinkpad L480/L490), all connected USB
  headsets are recognized and can be used, and configured via
  pavucontrol.

  When hot-plugging the USB headset, either the speaker is recognized,
  or the microphone, rarely both. But when both are recognized, the
  microphone is always a "multichannel" device. When both the speaker
  and the "multichannel" microphone are recognized, only one can be used
  - either speaker or microphone. When selecting the speaker, the
  microphone is switched back to any other device available, them same
  goes for the microphone and the speaker - any other speaker is
  selected.

  A workaround is to plug in the USB headset and run "pkill -U $USER
  pulseaudio". Everything works fine until the next hot-plug (eg. a
  second headset).

  Running "lsb_release -a" gives
  No LSB modules are available.
  Distributor ID:       Ubuntu
  Release:      18.04
  Codename:     bionic

  Attached is the output from "ubuntu-bug pulseaudio". Currently 10 % of
  our users are affected by this bug, all running the same Ubuntu and
  package versions. I activated the proposed repository to check if any
  updates available fix the problem, but to no avail. I also switched
  kernels (from 4.15 to 5.5 mainline from
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/MainlineBuilds).

  I read bug #1325282
  (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1325282)
  and it sounds somewhat very familiar, but instead of "env={}" in
  /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/detect/sl-modem.py there's "env=env".
  Removing "env=env" doesn't resolve the problem.

  Do you require additional information?