Hi,

Since updating my dell xps 9570 (latest BIOS 1.15.0 and a few previous
versions) from 19.04 to 19.10 I have been unable to boot ubuntu. It
fails with the following error quickly flashing:

  error: file `/boot/` not found

Then followed by:

  error: cannot allocate kernel buffer.
  error: you need to load the kernel first.

  press any key to continue...

This occurs when doing an update from 19.04 to 19.10 and also when just booting
off a usb drive with 19.10.

When booting off the usb drive. The first error flashes quickly before
displaying the usb installer options. Selecting any install / boot
option results in the second error about kernel buffer.

I have tried all combinations of bios settings I can think of, such as
toggling secure boot and other options. The only thing that made a
difference is booting via USB with LEGACY EXTERNAL DEVICE BOOT. This
allows the installer to complete, but I cannot then boot off the hard
drive.

I have tried the same USB drive with 19.10 on a Dell XPS 7590 with BIOS
1.2.3 and the USB stick boots fine. I have also tried many different USB
drives on my 9570.

I have tried a few daily builds of 20.04 with the same result. I tested
with 20.04 beta as well.

Note: 19.04 and earlier continues to work no problem.

I have asked for help previously:

* https://askubuntu.com/questions/1183129/19-10-usb-installer-boot-fail
* https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/689546/+index

Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:19.04.16.9
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_modeset nvidia
ApportVersion: 2.20.10-0ubuntu27.3
Architecture: amd64
CrashDB: ubuntu
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
Date: Sat Apr  4 06:55:59 2020
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" - Release amd64 (20190416)
PackageArchitecture: all
SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
Symptom: dist-upgrade

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug disco dist-upgrade
--
Unable to boot ubuntu 19.10 or newer on dell xps 9570
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1870614