OK, I finally got access to the VMs and was able to check the VMWare
version there:

$ vmware-toolbox-cmd -v
10.3.0.5330 (build-8931395)

So it's pre-VMWare 11.  And I double checked and confirmed that we can't
reproduce the problem reported here indeed:

# apt policy dmidecode
dmidecode:
  Installed: 3.1-1
# cat /sys/class/dmi/id/product_uuid
42187693-2BD2-5AF3-BDA4-AAF4E13CA373
# cat /sys/class/dmi/id/product_uuid
42187693-2BD2-5AF3-BDA4-AAF4E13CA373

As I said above, the patch pointed at [1] is already present on 3.1-1
(in fact, it's been available since version 2.10), so there's something
else going on here.

Were you able to confirm that dmidecode 3.2 fixes the issue for you?

Cheers.

[1]:
https://github.com/mirror/dmidecode/commit/7a9fc6d3cba86ec9c517b8ec314e099c5cb433b9

Packages, which is subscribed to dmidecode in Ubuntu.

  dmidecode does not byte-swap for SMBIOS >= 2.6

Status in dmidecode package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  On VMWare 6.5 and higher (HW version 13 and higher) when decoding
  /sys/class/dmi/id/product_serial dmidecode produces an output whereby
  the first 16 characters have been reversed in comparison to
  /sys/class/dmi/id/product_uuid.

  This manifests itself by breaking provisioning in Kubernetes and could
  cause other issues down the line. Other OS such as redhat have already
  patched this in their releases.

  A demonstration of the issue can be found in this pastebin:

  https://pastebin.canonical.com/p/qRfrpHXwGs/

  VMWare Issue: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/53609

  Cheers!