Me too. I turned the cache back on and don't notice the freezes.

  Ubuntu slows down and hangs while copying file from/to USB

  Hi

  While copying many and large files to and from a USB drive, the system
  becomes incredibly slow and sometimes hangs. I watched the system
  monitor while it was running slowly but cpu was not above 50% at any
  time, the same for memory.

  I'm using the "WD my passport" HD with a USB3 port of my "ASUS K55VD"
  laptop.

  Release:      13.04

  nautilus:
    Installed: 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
    Candidate: 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
    Version table:
   *** 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16 0
          500 http://ubuntu-archive.mirror.nucleus.be/ raring/main amd64
Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  Steps to reproduce:
  1) Aquire many large files (like your totally legit moviecollection)
  2) Copy files to external HD
  3) Open your browser and be sad when your system becomes incredibly slow
after a few minutes

  This is my first bugreport so if I'm missing something, please tell
  me.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu16
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-27.40-generic 3.8.13.4
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-27-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.1
  Architecture: amd64