[Expired for linux (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for 60
days.]

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

  v19.10 update to kernel version 5.3.0-26-generic fails

Status in Ubuntu MATE:
  Expired

Bug description:
  When I ran the Software updater on Jan 8, 2020, a security update from
  kernel version 5.3.0-24-generic to 5.3.0-26-generic was installed.
  When I rebooted the system, I was dumped to the boot-loaders busy-box
  prompt. I tried also under the Advanced options for Linux where normal
  and recovery mode versions of both v5.3.0-26-generic and
  v5.3.0-24-generic were available.  Both of the 5.3.0-26-generic
  options also sent me to the busy-box prompt.  However, when I tried
  the 5.3.0-24-generic option I was able to get the system started, and
  it seems to work normally.

  Some additional observations:

  While watching the messages when trying to get the 5.3.0-26 version
  going I noticed that it was not able to find the file system for my
  Ubuntu-Mate installation.

  I also noticed that the size of the initrd.img-5.3.0-26-generic is
  about 4 MBytes smaller than the initrd.img-5.3.0-24-generic.

  Since the Ubuntu-Mate file system is in a LVM partition, I am
  wondering if the initrd.img-5.3.0-26-generic lacks the capability to
  see the LVM partition.

  I have tried to figure out how to unpack the two initrd.img files to
  see what the differences are, but none of the information I have seen
  on the web about how to do this works on the Ubuntu versions of the
  file.

  My computer is a Dell XPS-13-9370.