Thanks for the bug report. The log in comment #2 shows lots of radeon
kernel errors so I am moving this bug to the kernel.

** Tags added: radeon

** Summary changed:

- X windows hnags following upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04
+ [radeon] X windows hangs following upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04

** Package changed: xorg (Ubuntu) => linux (Ubuntu)

  [radeon] X windows hangs following upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04

  Following an upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04 when I boot, X windows comes
  to a point where I get a white background with a bunch of colored
  dots.  Nothing progresses from there.

  I can boot successfully by pressing escape after booting, going to
  advanced options, booting to 5.4.0-29 recovery mode.  When that menu
  appears, I select "root".  I press Enter for maintenance.

  When the root prompt appears I immediately type EXIT to return to the
  menu and then RESUME followed by OK.

  The system then starts the desktop properly.

  I would be happy to provide boot logs and/or Xorg.0.logs if desired.
  It appears to me that there are out of memory errors occurring along
  with some addressing issues.

  I am on an HP EliteBook 8570w laptop 15.6 G memory.

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:20.04.19
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27
  Architecture: amd64
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun May 10 10:22:37 2020
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20180731)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: release-upgrade
  VarLogDistupgradeAptlog:
   Log time: 2020-05-09 09:07:41.355959
   Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
   Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 0
   Done
   None