** Description changed:

  [Impact]
  system does not boot after converting lvm volume to raid1 w/o having mdadm
installed.

  [Test case]

  1. Install server with subiquity to LVM
  2. Add second disk to it
  3. Run pvcreate /dev/vdb
  4. Run vgextend ubuntu-vg /dev/vdb
  5. Run lvconvert -m1 --type raid1 ubuntu-vg/lv

  Reboot and check that it still boots.

- 6. Remove demsetup
+ 6. Remove mdadm

  Reboot and check that it fails to boot

  7. Upgrade to lvm2 from proposed

  Reboot and check that it still boots.

  [Regression potential]
  Not really anything, we just add the raid1 module to initramfs, so it might
be loaded during boot, and raid1 logical volumes might appear earlier.

  [Original bug report]
  After upgrading to Wily, raid1 LVs don't activate during the initrd phase.
Since the root LV is also RAID1-mirrored, the system doesn't boot.

  I get the following message each time LVM tries to activate a raid1 LV:
  md: personality for level 1 is not loaded!

  Everything was fine with Vivid. I had to downgrade to Vivid kernel
  (3.19.0-30) to get my system to a usable state. I pretty much hope it to
  be a temporary workaround and I'll get the new 4.2.0 kernel work with
  Wily in days.

** Description changed:

  [Impact]
  system does not boot after converting lvm volume to raid1 w/o having mdadm
installed.

  [Test case]

  1. Install server with subiquity to LVM
  2. Add second disk to it
  3. Run pvcreate /dev/vdb
  4. Run vgextend ubuntu-vg /dev/vdb
  5. Run lvconvert -m1 --type raid1 ubuntu-vg/lv

  Reboot and check that it still boots.

  6. Remove mdadm
-
- Reboot and check that it fails to boot
-
  7. Upgrade to lvm2 from proposed

  Reboot and check that it still boots.
+
+ 8. Downgrade lvm2 to release
+
+ Reboot and check that it fails to boot

  [Regression potential]
  Not really anything, we just add the raid1 module to initramfs, so it might
be loaded during boot, and raid1 logical volumes might appear earlier.

  [Original bug report]
  After upgrading to Wily, raid1 LVs don't activate during the initrd phase.
Since the root LV is also RAID1-mirrored, the system doesn't boot.

  I get the following message each time LVM tries to activate a raid1 LV:
  md: personality for level 1 is not loaded!

  Everything was fine with Vivid. I had to downgrade to Vivid kernel
  (3.19.0-30) to get my system to a usable state. I pretty much hope it to
  be a temporary workaround and I'll get the new 4.2.0 kernel work with
  Wily in days.

  Wily LVM-RAID1 – md: personality for level 1 is not loaded

Status in lvm2 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Invalid
Status in lvm2 source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Cosmic:
  Invalid
Status in lvm2 source package in Cosmic:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux source package in Disco:
  Invalid
Status in lvm2 source package in Disco:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux source package in Eoan:
  Invalid
Status in lvm2 source package in Eoan:
  Fix Committed
Status in lvm2 package in Debian:

  system does not boot after converting lvm volume to raid1 w/o having mdadm
installed.

  [Test case]

  1. Install server with subiquity to LVM
  2. Add second disk to it
  3. Run pvcreate /dev/vdb
  4. Run vgextend ubuntu-vg /dev/vdb
  5. Run lvconvert -m1 --type raid1 ubuntu-vg/lv

  Reboot and check that it still boots.

  6. Remove mdadm
  7. Upgrade to lvm2 from proposed

  Reboot and check that it still boots.