I would also comment that I had to do a full reboot (I usually run with
suspend as long as I can but then I hit this point where Ubuntu stops
responding to any input and I must do a force power off). After I
rebooted, I noticed the reported problem was no long being exhibited. I
will add a report back if it starts re-appearing.

  Desktop Activities - first key typed is repeated 21 times

  Pretty simple scenario. I often press the Super key and then start
  typing a command name. Within the last two weeks (I stay up to date on
  any updates to 18.04), when I press the first key it gets repeated a
  total of 21 times. It is only the first key. If I press backspace or
  Ctl-u to erase the entries, then there is no problem. It seems that
  this problem went from being intermittent to being constant now.