This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
While running an Ubuntu kernel (not a mainline or third-party kernel)
please enter the following command in a terminal window:

apport-collect 1881252

and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.

If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.

This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.

** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)

** Tags added: focal

  Ubuntu won't boot if external device plugged in

  Hi. When I start my system and have external monitor plugged either in
  USB-C or HDMI, the system won't boot. It gets stuck just after the
  grub before login screen. I have fresh new install of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
  on Lenove Thinkpad P53s laptop.

  If I unplug the monitor and than plug them into system after I log in,
  everything works fine. The after restart the same problem arises. I
  have dual boot with windows, and I can log to windows with two
  monitors plugged with no problem.

  similar to this
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1876741

  Linux michal-P53s 5.4.0-26-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 20 16:58:30
  UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  Ubuntu 5.4.0-26.30-generic 5.4.30