@fginther

Just to make sure that it was not my comment that misled you, I am not
aware of any currently fixed version.

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-raspi2 in Ubuntu.

  arm64 Ubuntu kernel builds missing CONFIG_NLS_ASCII

Status in linux-raspi2 package in Ubuntu:

  Remounting log mounts in Ubuntu core are failing on arm64 builds due to
missing CONFIG_NLS_ASCII in the arm64 kernel build options.
  This option is enabled on the other kernel builds but somehow was overlooked
on arm64 appears to affect our ability to access logs via journalctl with data
from prior to restart because certain mounts are failing.
  Other Raspberry Pi kernel builds, such as the armhf build, have the option
enabled and so do not encounter the mount error.
  The kernel option that needs to be turned on to resolve this is
CONFIG_NLS_ASCII. It needs to be set to either 'm' or 'y'. Most of the other
chips have it set to 'y', keeping it built-in.