** Summary changed:

- 20.04 i915 laptop external monitor turns off when inactive, must open lid to
turn it on
+ 20.04 i915 laptop external monitor doesn't resume from power-save, must open
lid to turn it on

** Package changed: ubuntu => linux (Ubuntu)

  20.04 i915 laptop external monitor doesn't resume from power-save,
  must open lid to turn it on

  Dell 5520 laptop -> Dell Thunderbolt dock -> HDMI -> external monitor.
  Running 20.04, i915 driver.

  Laptop lid closed, using external monitor only.  When external monitor
  turns off (after sleep-display-ac), keyboard/mouse activity should
  turn it back on, but do not.  Opening and closing the laptop lid does
  turn the external monitor back on.  Laptop is not suspended; I can ssh
  in from another machine.

  Happy to collect any additional information.

  To reproduce:
  - On Dell 5520 laptop connected to Dell Thunderbolt dock connected to
external monitor via HDMI
  - Close laptop lid
  - Use external monitor, external keyboard, external mouse
  - Leave system idle for "sleep-display-ac" time
  - System puts external monitor in power-save mode
  - Move mouse, type on keyboard
  - No response, external monitor remains in power-save mode
  - Open laptop lid
  - External monitor turns on
  - Close laptop lid
  - External monitor remains on, I'm able to work as usual