I don't know much about xHCI so Mathias can comment on that. I do
remember seeing messages like:

  usb usb2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?

in the past but not sure if it is only with ICL. It is also weird that
the TCSS xHCI is doing anything if you plug TBT 3 device since USB is
not tunneled. Might be something related to Type-C or PD.

  When TBT dock is plugged into ICL TBT xHCI, port without device is in
  CAS state, causes many warm reset fail

  Since we can't use bugzilla for USB bugs, let's use Launchpad so we
  can attach dmesg :)

  System: XPS 9300 ICL
  Dock: Dell WD19TB Thunderbolt dock
  Linux: 5.7-rc5

  Right after the dock is plugged,
  [  127.205823] xhci_hcd 0000:00:0d.0: Get port status 2-1 read: 0x10202a0,
return 0x10341
  [  127.205832] usb usb2-port1: status 0341 change 0001

  CAS is flagged so warm-reset ensues:
  [  127.313467] usb usb2-port1: do warm reset

  However, it seems nothing is connected to usb2-port1, causes many warm-reset
fail, hence this error message:
  [  132.158968] usb usb2-port1: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?

  This issue doesn't happen on CML system with AR/TR TBT controller.