Should we just add pi-bluetooth to the image builds? Are there any
downsides of this packaging being installed on non-pi4 models?

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-raspi2 in Ubuntu.

  hciattach on rpi4 times out on first attempt

Status in linux-raspi package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux-raspi2 package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux-raspi2 source package in Eoan:
  New
Status in linux-raspi source package in Focal:

  I've observed this in both armhf and arm64 on:
  19.10.1-server
  18.04.4-server
  core18

  It does not seem to happen on rpi3, only on rpi4.
  If you want to use Bluetooth on rpi, one must first run:
  $ sudo hciattach /dev/ttyAMA0 bcm43xx 921600 noflow

  On RPI4, this results in a timeout on the first attempt. Reattempting
  it right after will work though, 100% of the times I've tried it.

  In the failed attempt, the output is:
    bcm43xx_init
    Initialization timed out.

  And the following is the only new message to show up in dmesg when this fails:
    [  270.303691] uart-pl011 fe201000.serial: no DMA platform data