** Tags removed: verification-needed-eoan
** Tags added: verification-done-eoan

  shiftfs: fix btrfs snapshot deletion

Status in linux source package in Eoan:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Focal:
  Fix Committed
Status in linux source package in Groovy:

  SRU Justification

  Impact: Stéphane discovered a problem during NorthSec which makes
  heavy use of shiftfs. In containers with a btrfs root filesystem that
  make use of shiftfs userns root is not able to delete subvolumes that
  have been created by another users which it would be able to do
  otherwise. This makes it impossible for LXD to delete nested
  containers.

  To reproduce this as root in the container:
  btrfs subvolume create my-subvol
  chown 1000:1000 my-subvol
  btrfs subvolume delete my-subvol

  The deletion will fail when it should have succeeded.

  Fix: For improved security we drop all capabilities before we forward
  btrfs ioctls in shiftfs. To fix the above problem we can retain the
  CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE capability only if we are userns root.

  Regression Potential: Limited to shiftfs. Even though we drop all
  capabilities in all capability sets we really mostly care about
  dropping CAP_SYS_ADMIN and we mostly do this for ioctl that e.g. allow
  you to traverse the btrfs filesystem and with CAP_SYS_ADMIN retained
  in the underlay would allow you to list subvolumes you shouldn't be
  able to list. This fix only retains CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE and only for the
  deletion of subvolumes and only by userns root.