With the recent updates, including:
kernel 5.4.0-40-generic x86_64 and (I suspect) wpasupplicant 2:2.9-1ubuntu4.1
The behaviour has changed: on channel switch the log files no longer grow
endlessly but there is still no attempt to reconnect to another SSID nor
notification that the connection is lost.
Instead the system basically freezes and it's impossible to manually disconnect
the wifi.

** Attachment added: "syslog_part"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1881214/+attachment/5389056/+files/syslog_part

  Intel Wireless 8260 [8086:24f3] Subsystem [8086:1010] on channel
  switch, iwlwifi Microcode SW Error: FW error in SYNC CMD
  CHANNEL_SWITCH_TIME_EVENT_CMD

  Ubuntu Mate 20.04, with all supplied kernels up to 5.4.0.33

  I occasionally see a message on my screen that disk space is low. I
  try rebooting since my computer is unresponsive. Normal reboot does
  not work, sudo reboot does not work. I have to power off the machine
  using power button. Machine boots but hangs because its trying to
  repair journal info.

  I can't see what causes that since I was not using my computer at the time.
  edit: see comment #14

  So with a live session, I can see that syslog and kern.log files have
  grown to several GB until the drive is full.

  When using an upstream kernel 5.4.43-050443-generic x86_64, I haven't had any
problem so far.
  edit: not true actually, this happened again using this upstream kernel.

  Never had this issue with previous Ubuntu versions with the very same
  hardware configuration, since 16.04.

  Included: partial syslog and kern.log with the same message repeated over and
over.
  edit: and when the event starts.