** Changed in: linux-aws (Ubuntu Disco)

Packages, which is subscribed to linux-aws in Ubuntu.

  linux-aws: swapoff optimization

Status in linux-aws package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-aws-5.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in linux-aws source package in Bionic:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-aws-5.0 source package in Bionic:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-aws source package in Disco:
  Won't Fix
Status in linux-aws-5.0 source package in Disco:
  Invalid
Status in linux-aws source package in Eoan:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-aws-5.0 source package in Eoan:
  New
Status in linux-aws source package in Focal:
  Fix Released
Status in linux-aws-5.0 source package in Focal:

  When an instance in the AWS EC2 infrastructure is successfully
  hibernated and resumed we want to deactivate the swap file as fast as
  possible in order to make the instance available again for the user.
  By default the kernel doesn't really optimize swapoff performance, it
  tries to keep the whole system still usable and responsive while
  swapoff is running.

  However, in our specific use case, swapoff needs to complete as fast
  as possible, so we may want to give swapoff I/O a higher priority and
  use different heuristics in order to optimize the I/O and page
  readahead generated by swapoff.

  [Test Case]

  Run the hibernation test on the AWS EC2 instances.

  [Fix]

  Apply a more aggressive swapin readahead policy that allows to improve
  swapoff performance.

  [Regression Potential]

  Minimal, this change is only affecting the swapoff-related code and it
  has been tested extensively with positive test results. The only
  downside is that this different heuristic makes the system more
  unresponsive during swapoff, but this is not a problem in the AWS
  scenario, because (by explicit requirement) the user shouldn't be able
  to use the instance during this swapoff phase.