dmesg output when HDMI is working

** Attachment added: "dmesg-working"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1886230/+attachment/5389517/+files/dmesg-working

  Thinkpad P1 Gen2 HDMI doesn't work after log out or reboot

  I have a Thinkpad P1 Gen 2. This specific machine was customized to
  NOT have a discrete Nvidia GPU. It ONLY has an integrated Intel UHD
  630 GPU.

  This is not a hardware issue as Windows seems to handle things
  correctly.

  With an external monitor connected via HDMI, boot proceeds OK with the
  external monitor displaying the boot process.

  I log in to a Gnome session using X.

  After login, I am able to open the display settings GUI and set mode
  to "single display" with the built-in LCD disabled and the external
  monitor enabled. This works correctly.

  However, if I then reboot the machine with the external monitor
  connected:

  1. Boot proceeds correctly with the boot process shown on the external
  monitor.

  2. After login, the external monitor is powered off and the built-in
  LCD is enabled. The "display settings" GUI shows the external monitor
  as a connected "Unknown Display" with the wrong resolution of
  1024x768. Attempting to use the GUI to set "single display" as above
  results in the external monitor still being powered off, and the
  built-in LCD also powered off. I have to press esc to cancel the
  display changes.

  At this point, the relevant output of `xrandr` is:

  ````
  DP1 connected 1024x768+3840+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
600mm x 340mm
     1024x768      60.00*
     800x600       60.32    56.25
     848x480       60.00
     640x480       59.94
  ````

  DP1 is the HDMI output, and it is listed at the wrong resolutions.

  If I disconnect the HDMI cable then run `xrandr` again, the output of
  `xrandr` is unchanged: it still lists DP1 as connected (!) even though
  the cable is disconnected.

  This bug also occurs if instead of rebooting, I simply log out and log
  back in again.

  The only solution appears to be to unplug the HDMI cable, shut down
  the machine (not reboot or log out), power on, log in, and at the
  desktop plug in the HDMI cable. At that point it works again.

  Rebooting does not solve the issue. It seems that a complete shutdown
  is required.

  I tested on Ubuntu 20.04's stock kernel 5.4.0 and also kernel 5.7.7
  and the issue is present on both versions.

  Package: linux-image-5.4.0-40-generic 5.4.0-40.44
  ApportVersion: 2.20.11-0ubuntu27.3
  Architecture: amd64
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  alex       1888 F.... pulseaudio
  CasperMD5CheckResult: skip
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME